Sunday, March 21, 2010

Berry Berry Goodness! Great BBQ dessert!

This weekend was a GORGEOUS weekend!
The weather was great, it was warm, the sun was out, and it was the 1st official day of spring!  I hope you East Coast people visited a Rita's Water Ice for your free water ice!

This recipe I actually found online. It is a great No-Cook Spring/Summer/BBQ dessert recipe. My husband and I were having friends and family over for a BBQ. Guests were coming between 2 & 3 in the afternoon. It is around noon when I realize that I had not figured out a dessert! I found a great dessert to try,  I was reading through the recipe, and it needed to sit in the freezer overnight, so that was a no-go.

I googled on the internet quick easy BBQ desserts. This one popped up and I read through the recipe directions, it sounded super easy, and I didn't need to bake anything! It was a winner. I rushed the grocery store, grabbed the ingredients, and rushed home to start. I then realized I didn't quite grab the correct ingredients, but I could improvise with what I had bought.

This recipe would be great at a cookout, or an outdoor dinner. It is just great for the warm spring & summer weather!

Berry Berry BBQ Cake
(the original name was kinda plain so I changed it, sorry!)


Ingredients
1 loaf butter pound cake
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 cup sliced strawberries
**1/2 cup blackberry jam
**1 cup blackberries, each cut in half
4 cups whipped topping


**see below

 **( In exchange for the blackberries, I used blueberries. It worked great! This would make a great 4th of July recipe since it is red, white and blue!)


Directions
( I found it does not matter what layer you use for the berries. Strawberry does NOT have to go on bottom. For blackberries, I used blueberries instead.)

 1.Slice pound cake lengthwise into 3 equal layers. Set top two layers aside.



2.Spread strawberry jam on bottom layer and top with strawberries. Gently press second layer onto strawberries. Spread second layer with blackberry jam and top with blackberries. Gently press remaining cake layer onto blackberries.



3.Frost top and sides of cake with whipped topping. Garnish with additional strawberries and blackberries.
 

* Do not put on whipped topping until ready to serve. I learned this when I tired to put on and put in refridgerator. It get kind of melty. It still tastes good though!


If you are short on time, this recipe is a real winner and will impress your friends and family!
 
 

No comments: