- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/3 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar, see step 1
- 3 tablespoon(s) confectioners’ sugar, see step 5
- 10 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon(s) ice water
- 6 ounce(s) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 1/2 pound(s) strawberries, stems and leaves discarded and each berry cut lengthwise in half
Fresh Strawberry-Cream Cheese Tart
- In food processor with knife blade attached, combine flour, salt, and 1/3 cup sugar; pulse until blended. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add vanilla, then ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour. (If chilled overnight, let dough stand 30 minutes at room temperature before rolling.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. On large sheet of parchment paper, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 12-inch round. Using 11-inch dinner plate as guide, and with sharp knife, cut 11-inch round from dough; discard trimmings.
- Transfer round, still on parchment, to large cookie sheet. Press one index finger against outside edge of dough round; with index finger and thumb of other hand, push dough around fingertip toward center to form a flute. Repeat around edge to make a decorative border. Refrigerate or freeze, on cookie sheet, about 10 minutes to firm dough slightly.
- Bake dough 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool crust completely on cookie sheet on wire rack, about 20 minutes.
- When crust is cool, in medium bowl, with spoon, mix cream cheese, sour cream, crystallized ginger, and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture on crust. Arrange strawberries, wide ends down, in concentric circles in cream cheese mixture to cover.